Italian Sausage and Rice Paella
Hot and spicy Italian sausage is great for this dish but I prefer to use the sweet (mild) Italian
sausages. I just add a little more hot pepper or a pinch of red pepper flakes.
Here's what you need:
3/4 lb Italian Sausages (2) thickly sliced (I sometimes use 3 or 4 for company)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups boiling water or chicken stock
1 cup long grain rice
1 sweet green pepper cut into chunks
2 tomatoes, coarsely chopped
1 bay leaf
1/4 tsp turmeric (this is very important for the colour)
Dash hot pepper sauce
Couple of Drops of vegetable oil
Salt and Pepper
1. Put the sausages in the oven at 350F for about 45-50 minutes
2. Put a couple of drops (maybe a tablespoon) of vegetable oil into a dutch oven (or some similar pot) and fry the garlic until it's lightly browned. Add the chicken stock.
3. Stir in the rice. Green peppers, tomatoes, bay leaf, turmeric and hot pepper sauce.
4. Bring to a boil then cover and simmer on low for 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
5. Add salt and pepper to taste. Discard bay leaf.
This recipe came from the cook book 'Light Kitchen' by Anne Lindsay